Friday, June 3, 2011

Birthday Countdown Chart


I have some students whose behaviors start to increase around the time of their birthdays.  It is the unexpected of what the party will be like, cake, presents, people, etc.....  This is one element that I have put into place to help ease the anxiety of how many days until their birthday arrives.  Each day during our circle time, the student counts down and takes away another candle.  This is a great visual aid for them to see how much longer they have until their birthday.  Since my students do not like surprises, I talk with the parents ahead of time, and request that if they plan to do something to just bring cake/ice cream and drinks.  All of the extra stuff tends to scare the other students, including the one having the birthday.  I have a social story that I use with the kids to ease their anxieties about what is going to happen on their birthday at school. 

~Jessica

No comments:

Post a Comment