Monday, June 20, 2011

Summer Unit Homework pack

This year has been a learning year for me as far as homework and the Unique Curriculum goes.  There are no homework options provided with this curriculum, so everything I send home is put together by me.  I'm still tweaking the format of homework assignments (do you even give homework?), and will need to for new students coming up to me this coming year.  Here is what I did for the summer ULS unit.


I provided a pacing calendar, an index of all items in the packet, cover for the unit, and a large ziploc bag for the contents to call home.




I created (using Boardmaker) a simple matching activity that had 2 levels.  One was a picture to picture match, and the other was a picture to word match.  I laminated the half size papers and sent home a washable marker. 



I created a Dominos game for the kids to play.  This helps them with their visual discrimination skills as well as vocabulary from the unit.



This is a cut and paste math worksheet.  This focuses on quarters and "buying" items needed for a picnic. 




Picnic Collage direction sheet.  Students were to look for pictures that realted to a picnic from magazines and the internet.  They then took the pictures and made them into a collage.  I have to admit that this was probably one of my favorite assignments.  I loved seeing their projects, and the students were so proud of them. 



This activity was a very simple writing assignment.  I gave them a sentence starter and they had to fill in one word of what they would take on a picnic. 

These were just a few of the extension activities that I created to go along with the unit.  I added in copies of their reading materials and sight words.  After surveying the parents, they all really liked this format.  Next year I will have more students that need hands on activities and communication boards to go home with their homework. 

Yes, it is a LOT of work, but you can do it!  It is worth the growth that you will see in your students come year end!  Once the new school year gets started, I will be making the intermediate grade band extension activities that I create into word documents and will post those also. 

~Jessica

3 comments:

  1. I really enjoy your posts!! My son is using the Unique Curriculum thru a virtual online school, and it's hard to come up with was to make it hands on for him. I was just wondering if you could give me a quick break down of the day for the kids. I'm having a hard time coming up with a structured day for him at home, and I'd like to get some ideas from a great teacher like yourself!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your kind words! Here is a breakdown of my schedule for next year (I'll do a post later down the road with details about what each rotation looks like). Hope this helps!

    8:00-8:45- bathroom/breakfast/choice boards
    8:45-9:15- morning meeting/read aloud
    9:15-10:15- reading groups/center rotations
    10:15-10:45- science/social studies/curent events/ functional skills
    10:45-11:05- Exercise/gross motor
    11:05-11:15- bathroom
    11:15-11:45- lunch
    11:45-12:00- choice boards
    12:00-12:50- specials
    12:50-1:00- bathroom
    1:00-2:00- math groups/center rotations
    2:00-2:20- writing groups
    2:20-2:40- snack
    2:40-3:00- bathroom/afternoon clean up/pack up/communication folders
    3:00- dismissal

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, this helps alot! I can get a better feel of how our day can be laid out!!! Thanks so much!!

    ReplyDelete