Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Incorporating music in the classroom

Do you incorporate music in your class?  What kind of music do you like or use?  When do you incorporate it?

While students are transitioning or during work sessions, I'll play a Baby Einstein album on my itouch.  During morning meeting, I incorporate  movement music and playing rhythm sticks. 


This is the current CD we are using for our movement portion of morning meeting:




Here is our rhythm stick basket and the CD we use:




I would love to hear more about how you incorporate music!

~Jessica

6 comments:

  1. I play a song each morning and the students vote "yes I like it" or "no I don't like it" with a voca. I then put a check mark under yes or no. This gives opportunist for graphing, counting and number recognition.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is awesome Terri! I know you teach middle grades, but I'm sure I could adapt your idea a little to make it work for my intermediate kids (gr. 3-5)! Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love teaching with music! and the kiddos do, too! :) great post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. One of the most difficult things in my classroom use to be transition time. I could not get them to clean up and stop thier projects, centers or whatever it happen to be.I found myself hollering over the classroom for ten to fifteen minutes and it was horrible. Finally, I chose a "clean up song" (mine was "Yackety Yac")and I taught the kids that they had to clean up what they were doing and get to their seats before the song ended. After that the kids would immidiately begin to put things away and race back to the table when they heard the song. It got to the point that when they saw me walk to the ipod player they would begin to clean up and I wouldn't have to say a word.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your clean up song "Yackety Yac". It's amazing what a song can do to help with transition time!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sometimes I play classical music in the background while students are working individually. It seems to cut down on the chatter and create a relaxed atmosphere.

    ReplyDelete