Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Teaching with Reading A-Z


One of the books listed with April's community unit is Needs and Wants.  It is a really great book that teaches the difference between needs and wants.  I made a couple copies of the book as readers and then made 1 copy to cut up and create an activity.  Taking 2 pieces of colored cardstock, I set it up to represent a picture web.  1 piece for needs and the other for wants.  Once I had the map drawn, I laminated it and the pieces from the story.  After helping my verbal students read the story, we went back through page by page and put our pieces onto our needs and wants cardstock.  This was extremely difficult for them to grasp this higher level of thinking.  Needs and Wants is a very difficult concept for elementary aged children to understand. 

~Jessica

No comments:

Post a Comment